The Global Gap Year Fellowship seeks diverse applicants who are curious about the world and committed to public service as global citizens. We strongly encourage individuals to apply who would not otherwise have the means to take a Gap Year. Applicants should:
- Be high school seniors who apply for admission at UNC-Chapel Hill by the Early Action deadline
- Possess intellectual curiosity
- Have an appetite for experiential learning
- Demonstrate creativity and resourcefulness
- Be open to new experiences abroad (previous international experience is not required)
- Note that if you were born after December 31, 2004 you are not eligible to apply for the Global Gap Year Fellowship. (Students must be 18 years of age when they leave the country)
We are now on the Common App for UNC! See the Excel @ UNC Opportunities at the end of the application.
If you have any questions, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Process & Timeline
For the first time, we are going to be a part of the Excel @ Carolina opportunities offered by UNC Admissions.
- Students apply using the Common Application.
- At the end, students will be asked if they are interested in one of two Global Opportunities (GGYF and/or Carolina Global Launch). Please select the Global Gap Year Fellowship and answer the supplemental questions. Your application will be reviewed by UNC Admissions and, if referred on, by GGYF Staff.
- Finalists are selected and invited to UNC for the Global Gap Year Fellowship Finalist Weekend, during which they stay near UNC’s campus, attend workshops on ethical service and are interviewed by the selection committee.
- Finalists are notified about their acceptance to the Fellowship shortly after Finalist Weekend.
For questions concerning the application process, please view the Timeline below or visit our FAQ Page.
The dates below are for the 2022 application cycle. If you have specific questions regarding the application process, please email email@example.com.
October 15, 2021: Apply for undergraduate admission to UNC-Chapel Hill through the Common Application. Select the Global Gap Year Fellowship opportunity from the Excel @ Carolina Opportunities at the end of your application
End of January, 2022: Notification from UNC Admissions about your acceptance to UNC and if you are progressing with the GGYF process.
March/April 2022: Finalists come to UNC to participate in Finalists Weekend.
Mid-April 2022: Finalists for the Global Gap Year Fellowship 2021-2020 cohort are notified and must accept their offer by May 1.
Summer 2022: Selected Global Gap Year fellows spend two weeks at UNC learning about global engagement and preparing for their time abroad.