If you could dedicate a year between your sophomore and junior years to do public service anywhere in the world, where would you go? What would you do?
The Bridge Year Fellowship will be awarded this spring to one second-semester sophomore who will take a year away from UNC to engage in international service before returning in Fall 2024. This Fellowship is offered in partnership with the Meantime Coffee Co.
Why Take a Bridge Year?
From exploring interests in the real world to learning how to quickly adapt to new environments, Fellows return to college with life lessons that leave them better prepared to take full advantage of their undergraduate careers. Experiential learning through traveling, working, and engaging in service allows students to develop skills that a classroom cannot provide.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
Students must be current sophomores in good academic standing at UNC to apply. Successful applicants will demonstrate maturity, flexibility, a strong desire to explore new cultures, and a commitment to public service. Previous travel experience is not required.
Students who may be traditionally underrepresented in global engagement are encouraged to apply. This includes (but is not limited to) students of color, first-generation students, students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds, and students from rural locations.
More About the Fellowship
Selected Fellows will be required to participate in the 2-week Summer Institute in July 2023. Fellows will also be encouraged to attend the Re-Entry Retreat with the Global Gap Year Fellows in the Fall of 2024.
How Do I Apply?
Please apply via the Google Form here!
- April 19th, 2023: Application opens.
- May 10th: Deadline to submit your online application for the Fellowship at globalgap.unc.edu.
- May 15th: Finalists are notified and participate in an interview round from May 15th – May 19th.
- July 8th-22nd: Fellow attends a Summer Institute at UNC with the Global Gap Year cohort to learn about global engagement and finish their Bridge Year proposals… before embarking on their adventure abroad!
- Bridge year! At least 6 months of service abroad.
- August 2024: Return to UNC for your junior year and attend a Re-entry retreat with the Global Gap Year cohort.
If you have any questions or concerns about the timeline, please email email@example.com or call Araseli Valverde at 919-843-3452.