by Parker Vige

I’m almost certain that the speedometer in Moses’ car never once dropped below 90 mph as we barreled down the hills of Uganda in an attempt to make the 4 hour journey from the airport to home in under 2.5 hours (sshhh, don’t tell my mom). I decided that perhaps I was safer in this circumstance because Moses did not look down at his nonexistent iPhone incessantly to check a message, therefore I just enjoyed the ride instead of being anxious. Finally, we made it home safe and sound on Wednesday night around 1 am.

I was astonished to find almost the entire family still awake to greet me upon my arrival. They showed me to my room, which was built just recently, and I gladly headed to bed.

Bed.
Bed.

My first full day at the project was quite an experience. I woke at 6:30 am to have my shower; on my way to the outdoor facility I was greeted by this little fellow. Isn’t he adorable? (Roughly the size of my foot.)

After showering, I met the other volunteer, who is from England, and we took breakfast together (hot tea, a boiled egg, and a slice of bread). Next, we headed to the school. The walk was no more than a three quarters of a mile, and conversations with Moses’ children accompanied by the gentle breeze made it a very pleasant “chore” each day. The school yard was oddly quiet, but Emma, the other volunteer, explained that everyone was on holiday until school started again on the 7th.

I wondered why we bothered to show up.

Well, because at least 60 of the students also showed up expecting to get extra lessons to help prepare them for the standardized tests coming up in October.

As you may have guessed, the school does not possibly have money enough to pay the teachers during holiday, so they show up on their own accord as well.

As I write this, I am anxious to tell you about the experience of going into the classes, and being asked to give instruction even on my first day. However, that will have to wait, as it is 7:30 am and we are off to school.

Talk Soon,
Parker

P.S. If you are interested, I have set up a more personal blog to share how you can join me in the work that is going on in Uganda. The blog address is www.alwaysglobal.org and you will find this information under the “take part” page.