The Global Gap Year Fellowship seeks diverse applicants who are curious about the world and committed to public service as global citizens. We strongly encourage individuals to apply who would not otherwise have the means to take a Gap Year. Applicants should:
- Be high school seniors who apply for admission for the Early Action deadline at UNC-Chapel Hill
- Possess intellectual curiosity
- Have an appetite for experiential learning
- Demonstrate creativity and resourcefulness
- Be open to new experiences abroad – previous international experience is not required
- Note that if you were born after December 31, 1999 you are not eligible to apply for the Global Gap Year Fellowship.
Last Year’s Application Instructions
Click here to view application instructions for the UNC Global Gap Year Fellowship.
It is not possible to save your work in Qualtrics. To save your work, prepare your application in the application instructions Word document. Whenever you are ready, copy your responses over to the Qualtrics form. If you have any questions about this, please contact us.
The 2017 GGYF Application is now open. Please be sure to carefully read the application instructions above, and contact us if you have any questions.
By October 15: Apply for undergraduate admission to UNC-Chapel Hill through the Common Application. Note that only students who apply Early Action and are admitted are eligible to apply for the GGYF.
By Monday, March 6: After receiving notification of your admission to Carolina, submit your online application for the Fellowship at globalgap.unc.edu. (Note that letters of recommendation are due on Friday, March 10 at 5 P.M.)
By Friday, March 31: Finalists are notified
Weekend of April 8th: All selected finalists are invited to participate in the “Global Gap Year Fellowship Finalist Weekend at Carolina.”
By Friday, April 14: Fellows are selected and begin planning their gap years.
Summer 2017: Selected Gap Year fellows spend two weeks at UNC learning about global engagement and preparing for their Gap Years.